is a word from the Owambo language and translates as “wide open plain”
It appears that previous inhabitants have been inspired by the bush savannah that surrounds the country house
in choosing this name.
Built in 1907 during the German colonial rule, the main building originally served as a casino
for mine workers.
Over the years it was used for different purposes, but unfortunately it became ever more dilapidated.
The new owners restored the building to its former architectural glory and in August 2007
Kashana Country House was reopened.
The main building now houses the restaurant (incorporating a number of rooms),
the kitchen and storage rooms as well as an inviting bar.
Kashana also offers a number of luxurious thatched bungalows and an Art and Craft Centre.